Candle crafts are lovely for homemade Christmas decorations. I saw this idea on pinterest. It’s from Kidscraftroom.com which is a great place for craft ideas. This craft combines two of my favourite things – yarn and Christmas! If you are making this at home with your own children you can use what you have – cardboard tubes from toilet rolls and kitchen rolls and paper and yarn you already have. If making in a group then it’s better to avoid toilet rolls or check with your group first. If you don’t have shiny paper or card for the flame just use what you have – silver foil or sweet wrappers would work just as well.
To make the candle decoration you need
- Cardboard tubes
- White paper to cover the tube – or any colour you choose
- Yellow and gold card to make the flame. This needs to be the same width as the tube at it’s base as you are going to slot it into the tube.
Before making something with children I always try it our first. It’s the only way to know if it will work! I had a few different attempts at wrapping yarn around the cardboard tube and decided to go with a variegated chunky yarn. I used a pink based colour that is really bright! It’s available from amazon. (affiliate link – if you click on the link and make a purchase the blog recieves a small payment from Amazon at no extra cost to you). You can use any yarn that you have but you need it to hold to the tube without using glue.
- Cover the tube with paper. Secure with glue and then cut and tuck in extra paper at both ends. The tube should still stand up.
- Cut two slits opposite each other at one end.
- Slot the begginning of the yarn in one of the slits and start wrapping
- Wrap the yarn from top to bottom and then back to the top and secure in the other slit. Push the end of the yarn into the centre of the tube
- Make the flame
- Slot the flame into the top of the candle
Another Christmas craft from the blog is here – A Christmas Star to make.
3 thoughts on “Candle decoration to make”
The candle is a lovely new idea, we are making the paper plate nativity scene too by adding characters to the scene each week. Thanks for your fabulous website 😁
Hi Caroline, thank you so much for this lovely comment! I’m glad you are finding the ideas useful. Enjoy building the nativity scene!
[…] is a variation of the Yarn wrapped candle. You need cardboard tubes – you can purchase these or use a halved kitchen roll. Add a face, […]