This Story is from Matthew 13:44. It’s all about finding treasure in a field. It’s just one verse but one clear meaning too – being in God’s kingdom is worth more than everything else.
You need some treasure in a box, a green blanket/cloth and a trowel or spade (keep the latter away from young children or use a plastic spade). Bury the treasure under the green blanket ready to dig it up at the right time in the story.
‘One day Jesus told a made up story to show everyone that being part of God’s Family (Kingdom) is worth more than anything else. Let’s listen to the story he told…’
Once upon a time there was a man who was digging in the farmers field. He was digging and digging – and then he found something. I wonder what it was? It was a box of treasure! (Show the treasure). But the field wasn’t his and so the treasure wasn’t his!
But he had a plan. He put the treasure back where he had found it (put it back under the green blanket). Then he went home and he got all the things that he owned together and sold all of them! He went to the farmer – ‘Can I buy your field?’ ‘Yes’, said the farmer, ‘It’s now yours.’ Then the man got his spade and went to the field and starting digging – (act this out) and there was the treasure and now it was his. Now had more than he had ever had!
Jesus told this story to show us that being in God’s family is worth everything!
Craft Idea – finding treasure in the field
- Some of the links in this post are affiliate links which means if you click on the link and purchase the item I will receive commission at no extra cost to you.
To make this craft you need…
- Green paper (folded in half – portrait)
- Sequins and shiny paper cut up into small shapes
- The downloads of the treasure box, spade and words, ‘Can you find the treasure’ (which can be printed into labels)
- There is also the option of adding grass to the field (see photo)
One thought on “Treasure in a Field – Stories Jesus Told”
[…] Treasure in a field […]